Strength Training for Speed: Book RecommendationJason Firmager
Speed is integral to the successful performance of both individuals and teams in a host of diverse sports; and knowledge of the ways in which high-performance athletes train to develop this quality is highly sought after.
Strength Training for Speed, released 30 June, is a one-stop resource for coaches and athletes looking to enhance sprinting speed through effective strength training methods.
Strength Training for Speed uses the latest scientific research to underpin training solutions presented within the book. Programmes outlined in the book are followed by amateurs and professionals alike, including:
– world champion and Paralympic medallists in sprinting
– Olympic and Commonwealth games competitors in athletics
– Super League netball players
– Premiership rugby players.
The scope of applicable content will be of particular interest to a number of sporting enthusiasts including coaches, athletes and students, and ranging across the board, from amateurs to professionals. This book is for anyone looking to excel in the field of sport, no matter what their current standard.
Boasting a library of over 100 exercises and a series of periodized plans, readers will learn how to devise effective strength training programmes for any athlete – from the recreational to elite performer.
Strength Training for Speed covers:
- The anatomy and physiology of sprinting
- How to elicit the key physiological adaptations necessary for improving strength, power, and ultimately speed
- The biomechanics of sprinting during the acceleration and maximum velocity phases
- How to design individual strength training sessions
- The periodization of strength training for speed development
Author James Wild said: “Ultimately, physical and speed potential cannot be reached without progressive, well-structured and targeted strength and power-type training, yet its incorporation into an athlete’s overall programme is frequently performed through guesswork and its role often misunderstood. This book will enable people to share some of my passion developed over years of research and coaching, and provide a timeless scientifically underpinned practical-based resource for athletes and coaches looking to enhance sprinting speed.”